5K views 28 comments

Update by user Mar 10, 2015

It's come to my attention that there are two very different formulations of Wen - The Chaz Dean Wen sold at ChazDean.com lists it's ingredients on the site.The Guthy-Renker formula sold at Wen.com does not list it's complete ingredient list anywhere on the site.

It is not the same product at all. They are complete frauds, and this is where our product came from. Someone noted the difference in the labels. Chaz Dean's simply says "Wen" and Guthy Renker's says "Wen by Chaz Dean".

I do not know what in the shampoo is causing so many to lose their hair, and if it is only Guthy Renker's product, but I suspect it is. Chaz Dean's 2nd ingredient is aloe vera gel, followed by glycerin. Guthy Renker's product's 2nd ingredient is glycerin followed by cetyl alcohol and cetearyl alcohol.

Here are the complete ingredient lists for each...

Chaz Dean's Wen

Water, Aloe Vera Gel, Glycerin, Chamomile Extract, Cherry Bark Extract, Calendula Extract, Rosemary Extract, Behentrimonium Chloride, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Cetyl Alcohol, Emulsifying Wax, Panthenol, Trimethylsilylamodimethicone, Hydrolyzed Whole WheatProtein, PEG-60 Almond Glycerides, Menthol, Essential Oils, CitricAcid, Methylchoroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone,Fragrance

Guthy-Renker's Wen

Water,Glycerin, Cetyl Alcohol, Cetearyl Alcohol, Chamomilla Recutita (Matricaria) Flower Extract

Prunus Serotina (Wild Cherry) Bark Extract, Rosmarinus Officinalis (Rosemary) Leaf Extract, Prunus Amygdalus Dulcis (Sweet Almond) Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Panthenol, Butylene Glycol Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Stearamidopropyl Dimethylamine, Polysorbate 60, PEG-60, Almond Glycerides, Amodimethicone, Citric Acid, Menthol, Methylchloroisothiazolinone, Methylisothiazolinone, Fragrance, Limonene

Original review posted by user Mar 08, 2015

My 10 year old daughter, who lost her hair from Wen Cleansing Conditioner, granted permission to share this photo in hopes of preventing others from using Wen and having the same catastrophic results.Do your research and don't buy this product.

She was given it by her grandmother, who raved about it (really just parroting the infomercial.) so I didn't think to look at reviews before using. Wow, am I sorry about that! There are hundreds of hair loss reports just on pissedconsumer.com, and hundreds more around the web. There is no question her hair loss was from Wen.

First loss was noticed days after first use. Subsequent uses her hair literally just slipped right off her head. Having had the product so hyped up that is was so gentle, I still didn't suspect it until someone sent info on the class action suit. Grandma's hair also thinned severely.

5 months later, my girl has patchy growth on about 1/3 of her head.It is OK to re-share the photo.

Review about: Cleansing Conditioner.

I didn't like: Hair loss.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE Wen Conditioner
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss harm to child / $3000
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Wen?

Comments

More than 2 years later, my girl (this beautiful girl) is still missing 1/3 of her hair, and has very obvious bald spots. Her immunologist says there are so clinical signs of auto-immune disease, but like many other Wen users, she continues to lose hair. This product may have caused life-long consequences from just 3 uses (and the 2nd of those uses was just from the neck down.)

We believe the product has caused a sensitization to one or more common cosmetic chemicals used at unsafe amounts in the product.

Dallas, Oregon, United States #1267089

My hair thinned out because of the same thing.I used both products!

The one he pushed and the one guthey rinker pushed!

My recommendation is to start using Rogaine for women foam.

It really made a difference in my hair!It's growing back nice and thick now!

Somerton, Arizona, United States #1235225

Bless your hearts.This is so sad.

My hair has thinned so much these last few years and I used wen, I never knew this was the reason I've lost over 1/2 of my original thickness.

I hope I can get it back, as I an older woman.God bless all.

It would be WAY more splotchy. That kid has cancer and I doubt she's your daughter.

to Anonymous #1315418

Hey Anonymous, surprise!That's my name too.

I have used Wen also. I have bought it from Wen.com and QVC.com. I noticed it a few weeks where my hair was getting very thin in the front and that was definitely not that way before. I stopped using this product right away.

I can understand why others probably keep on using it just to make sure.My sister used it also but she kept using it for months until eventually she realized how this product thinned her hair all over her head.

I think you are a liar..pretty sure that is a stolen image of a child with cancer

to Anonymous Hawaii, United States #1317461

I think you are a troll and google the pics and see if you come up with something. If you like wen so much show us that you use it yourself and how it works for you.

to Anonymous #1318421

OK, here's proof - her pictures being shown in congress by the Environmental Working Group VP who we spent a day on Capitol Hill with.

Mariah
Los Angeles, California, United States #1109279

Maybe she used too much and left it in too long.You dont go by the directions you are only suppose to use as much as you need.

She only had a little hair so she did not need that much to start off with. Depending on the thickness of your hair and how rough or soft it is will let you know by your own knowledge how much too use.

If you have thin soft healthy hair than you dont need to use hardley any wen conditionar. If you have thick course hair than use a good size about two thick pumps and leave it in about 1-2 hours depending on how much you use it. If you use it everyday than dont leave in more than 5 minnutes.

If you use it 2 times a week leave in 15 minnutes to 30 minnutes for thick course hair.If you use too much and leave it in too long than that could be why she lost her hair.

Healthy hair that is not dyed, permed, course, or bleached does not need Wen.